This season it’s all about the jumpsuit, be it dressy, summer casual or utility style and as you’d expect Boden have all bases covered and more. But I thought first I could talk about the the highs and possible lows of the humble jumpsuit, I do love a bit of history .. but don’t worry there’ll be no test at the end!
- A Florentine artist and designer who went by the name of Thayat created the first ever jumpsuit in 1919 as a practical piece of clothing worn by parachuters and sky divers – quite literally a suit for jumping!
- Elsa Schiaparelli put the jumpsuit on the fashion map in the ’30s. The designer (& rival) to Coco Chanel shook up the Paris couture scene with her designs.
- Katharine Hepburn gave the jumpsuit a touch of Hollywood glamour … she wore a monogrammed silk one-piece in the 1937 film Stage Door.
- In the ’70s; Cher, Abba and Elvis adopted the jumpsuit as their signature style.
- For a few years the jumpsuit was deemed rather naff, but in the ’00s the jumpsuit began it comeback and has become the go to fashion item.
So that’s your history lesson for today done, although while we are having an educational moment I thought I’d dispel the myth and mystery around jumpsuits and going to the loo .. we all worry about it .. but in truth its all fairly simple .. yeah you do have to half undress but its not that bad really (unless of course you’re in a muddy field in the middle of nowhere!) .. and as long as you don’t leave until the very last minute everything will be peachy!
I was very lucky that I was able to use the gorgeous setting of Verzon House, one of my absolute favourite places to eat & where I held my hen party, its also lovely venue to sit, relax and have a drink (or two).
Utility Chic : the classic “boiler suit” the Jessie Jumpsuit is long sleeved with an added extra pop of red along the breast pockets and along the side, and it has a tie waist to give a sinched in waist (should you wish), this really can be dressed down with trainers or dressed up for a bit of funk with heels, style with a bright bag .. and you’re away.
Summer Time : I know we’re not there yet, but we soon will be, and the Jasmine Jumpsuit is perfect for getting ready for those hazy summer evenings. Its super flattering with a nipped in waist, its soft & flowing, with gathered short sleeves and a keyhole back its perfect to show off the well perfected tan ,whether it be from a bottle or from a week by the pool in somewhere far far away, it has a very relaxed feel about it, all I need now is a big rimmed straw hat and cocktail!
Getting Dressy : I wore this jumpsuit to my hen meal, an absolute classic and a piece that will last for years to come the Clarissa Jumpsuit has all the necessary yet simple details, its floaty with a roll collar, fitted waist and fabulous palazzo pant legs and its even got pockets .. I mean what’s not to love. This will definitely be having an outing during the week of love.
I love all three jumpsuits, all are absolute classics & I know I will get wear out of them for a long long time to come.
I hope that if you are thinking about buying a jumpsuit this has helped you decided which style you’d like to go for, and if like me you just can’t get enough of them please let me know if you think there are others I should looking at. Either way .. jumpsuits are here to stay for a while yet .. so lets have fun wearing them.
* I would like to thank Verzon House for the wonderful hospitality shown to me whilst I took these photos *
** The Jessie Jumpsuit was gifted (I bought the Clarissa & Jasmine Jumpsuit) as part of collaboration between Zyper Official and Boden which I am incredibly lucky to be a part of … if you would like any of these gorgeous items from Boden and more, click on the link which will automatically give you 20% https://go.zyper.com/bloomingnikiBoden **
*** All opinions, photos, obsessions and words are my own ***